The large Georgian house was built in 1800 by Charles Darwin’s father, the local and successful doctor Robert Darwin. His son Charles was born there on 12 February 1809. It is a building of the typical Georgian style, showing influences over the neoclassical movement.
In 2022 McMillan & Holder worked with prominent local architect Sean Pemble to reinstate the drive walls complete with tooled coping. Major restoration of the original gate piers has taken place with indents and replacement sandstone sections when needed.